It is the vision of Empower Wyoming to offer the most effective personal safety training for children. To this end, we recruit adult volunteers who share that vision and are willing to learn and practice the necessary skills to become effective trainers.
Our Kids Ambassadors are trained to provide realistic role-plays in order to teach children effective boundary-setting skills.
- Role-plays are adapted appropriately for each age group.
- Workshops are offered within schools, during after-school programs, and for other children’s groups or organizations.
“It’s easier to build up a child than repair an adult”
HOW OUR KIDS AMBASSADOR PROGRAM WORKS
Empower seeks out adults who have:
- A good heart
- Enthusiasm and a positive attitude
- Good communication skills and a willingness to work as part of our team
Those adults must then:
- Complete an Application and Volunteer Agreement
- Agree to abide by our Abuse Prevention & Response Policy
- Submit to an FBI Background Check
- Attend Empower training’s before participating in our workshops for kids
Ambassadors are trained to provide realistic role-plays in order to teach children effective boundary-setting skills. Role-plays are adapted to the age group of each workshop and include:
- Strangers: kids practice awareness, plus verbal and physical strategies in scenarios with people they don’t know.
- Familiars: The sad truth is that children are most often assaulted or abused by someone they know. So our Ambassadors role-play a “familiar” (a relative, teacher, coach, neighbor, peer, friend). Kids practice setting verbal boundaries and how to stay firm even if the Familiar responds with hurt feelings, anger or defensiveness, bribes, or even threats.
- Bully Intervention: Ambassadors act out bully scenarios while kids practice options for bystander intervention.
- Physical Self-Defense: Simple, effective physical skills are taught using pads or Empower’s suited instructors. The physical portion of the workshop is reserved for the end, and can be withheld if students fail to demonstrate that they will be responsible with this training. Students are individually required to make a solemn promise to use these techniques only in a situation where their life or safety is at risk. Ultimately, the self-defense training adds a fun & empowering coda to the workshop.